Re: Size estimation of postgres core files

From: Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andrew Gierth <andrew(at)tao11(dot)riddles(dot)org(dot)uk>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Size estimation of postgres core files
Date: 2019-02-15 19:01:50
Lists: pgsql-general

> It doesn't write out all of RAM, only the amount in use by the
> particular backend that crashed (plus all the shared segments attached
> by that backend, including the main shared_buffers, unless you disable
> that as previously mentioned).
>
> And yes, it can take a long time to generate a large core file.
>
> --
> Andrew (irc:RhodiumToad)

Based on the Alvaro's response, I thought it is reasonably possible that
that *could* include nearly all of RAM, because that was my original
question. If shared buffers is say 50G and my OS has 1T, shared buffers is
a small portion of that. But really my question is what should we
reasonably assume is possible - meaning what kind of space should I
provision for a volume to be able to contain the core dump in case of
crash? The time of writing the core file would definitely be a concern if
it could indeed be that large.

Could someone provide more information on exactly how to do that
coredump_filter?

We are looking to enable core dumps to aid in case of unexpected crashes
and wondering if there are any recommendations in general in terms of
balancing costs/benefits of enabling core dumps.

Thank you!
Jeremy