Alter table set logged hanging after writing out all WAL

From: Jeremy Finzel <finzelj(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Alter table set logged hanging after writing out all WAL
Date: 2018-02-06 06:50:56
Lists: pgsql-general

We are running:

PostgreSQL 10.1 on x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, compiled by gcc (Debian 4.7.2-5)
4.7.2, 64-bit

The table I am setting to logged is 32GB with indexes. I see it writing
WAL files like crazy but after about an hour and a half, it has written out
some 2500 WAL segments, then it just sits and continues to run as "active",
but no more WAL files are being created. There are no locks, and no other
transactions in the system running.

Any ideas? Is it still doing something that I need to wait for?

Thanks,
Jeremy