Re: Excessive number of replication slots for 12->14 logical replication

From: Bowen Shi <zxwsbg12138(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com>, "houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com" <houzj(dot)fnst(at)fujitsu(dot)com>, Ajin Cherian <itsajin(at)gmail(dot)com>, Peter Smith <smithpb2250(at)gmail(dot)com>, Hubert Lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>, PostgreSQL mailing lists <pgsql-bugs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Excessive number of replication slots for 12->14 logical replication
Date: 2024-01-18 07:29:52
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Dears,

I encountered a similar problem when I used logical replication to
replicate databases from pg 16 to pg 16.

I started 3 subscription in parallel, and subscriber's postgresql.conf is
following:
max_replication_slots = 10
max_sync_workers_per_subscription = 2

However, after 3 minutes, I found three COPY errors in subscriber:
"error while shutting down streaming COPY: ERROR: could not find record
while sending logically-decoded data: missing contrecord at xxxx/xxxxxxxxx""
Then, the subscriber began to print a large number of errors: "could not
find free replication state slot for replication origin with ID 11,
Increase max_replication_slots and try again."

And the publisher was full of pg_xxx_sync_xxxxxxx slots, printing lots of
"all replication slots are in use, Free one or increase
max_replication_slots."

This question is very similar to
https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20220714115155.GA5439%40depesz.com
. When the table sync worker encounters an error and exits while copying a
table, the replication origin will not be deleted. And new table sync
workers would create sync slot in the publisher and then exit without
dropping them.

Bowen Shi

Amit Kapila <amit(dot)kapila16(at)gmail(dot)com> 于2024年1月18日周四 15:02写道: