Accessing structured datatypes using libpq

From: Raimo Jormakka <raimo(dot)jormakka(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Accessing structured datatypes using libpq
Date: 2014-06-11 06:20:55
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

What is the recommended way of accessing structured data-types (especially
JSONB and HSTORE) using libpq? It seems that by default JSONB data for
example is returned as text.

Is it not possible to have binary access to these data-types? If it is
possible, then how do I do it exactly as the only thing I get from libpq is
a void-pointer?

Cheers,
Raimo