Error: "Out of memory while reading tuples." in pushing table from SAS to PostgreSQL on Mac

From: wetter wetterana <wetterana(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Error: "Out of memory while reading tuples." in pushing table from SAS to PostgreSQL on Mac
Date: 2014-12-14 04:03:39
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I'm passing rows from SAS to PostgreSQL (I assign a libname and use a PROC
APPEND). This works fine with smaller tables (~below 1 million rows).
However, as tables get larger I receive the following error messages:

"ERROR: CLI describe error: Out of memory while reading tuples.; No query
has been executed with that handle"
and
"GLOBAL SYSDBMSG POSTGRES: Out of memory while reading tuples.; No query
has been executed with that handle
GLOBAL SYSDBRC HY000"

I've tried to change memory settings on the PostgreSQL server, but can't
solve the problem. As far as I could understand—I'm new to PostgreSQL
;)—it seems that PostgreSQL want to somehow read information on the whole
table before processing it and this behavior could eventually be switched
off, but I might be wrong here.

FYI:
- I run SAS 9.4 on a windows machine.
- I run PostgreSQL server on a MAC: PostgreSQL 9.3.5 on
x86_64-apple-darwin12.5.0, compiled by Apple LLVM version 5.1, 64-bit
I've Pgadmin 1.18.1 installed.

Any help would be much appreciated!!

THANKS!

PS: For several reasons, I cannot use the bulkload feature in SAS for this
job.