Re: [Patch] add new parameter to pg_replication_origin_session_setup

From: Doruk Yilmaz <doruk(at)mixrank(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [Patch] add new parameter to pg_replication_origin_session_setup
Date: 2024-08-15 20:53:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello again,

On Tue, Aug 13, 2024 at 12:48 AM Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com> wrote:
> I'm curious about your use case. Is it just because the internal function has a
> different signature or your tool is capable of apply logical replication changes
> in parallel using the SQL API?

The latter is correct, it applies logical replication changes in parallel.
Since multiple connections may commit, we need all of them to be able
to advance the replication origin.

> * no documentation changes. Since the function you are changing has a new
> signature, this change should be reflected in the documentation.
> * no need for a new internal function. The second parameter (PID) can be
> optional and defaults to 0 in this case. See how we changed the
> pg_create_logical_replication_slot along the years add some IN parameters like
> twophase and failover in the recent versions.

I updated/rewrote the patch to reflect these suggestions.
It now has the same DEFAULT 0 style used in pg_create_logical_replication_slot.
I also updated the documentation.

> * add a CF entry [1] for this patch so we don't forget it. Another advantage is
> that this patch is covered by CI [2][3].
Sadly I still can't log in to the Commitfest due to the cool-off
period. I will create an entry as soon as this period ends.

Thanks for all the feedback,
Doruk Yılmaz

Attachment Content-Type Size
v2-0001-pg_replication_origin_session_setup-new-parameter.patch text/x-patch 3.7 KB