Postgres replaces SQLite as well as it replaces Oracle?

From: Joshua Kramer <joskra42(dot)list(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: PostgreSQL Advocacy <pgsql-advocacy(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Postgres replaces SQLite as well as it replaces Oracle?
Date: 2017-02-25 01:12:54
Lists: pgsql-advocacy

Hello,

Has anyone done articles or advocacy for Postgres in embedded applications?

I am fooling around with Home Assistant on a Raspberry Pi. This is a
Python 3 app that is normally backed by SQLite. But it has issues
because often times more than one process wants to write to the
database, and SQLite doesn't do that well. I found a handy guide on
replacing SQLite with PG in this application:

https://community.home-assistant.io/t/howto-postgresql-on-raspberry-pi-all-in-one-installer/5527/21

Two things I noticed right off the bat. The UI of HomeAssistant is
MUCH faster using PG than it is using SQLite. We're talking 5 seconds
for a page refresh vs half a second. Second, Postgres is tiny! The
whole stack- OS, Postgres, HASS server- takes up a whopping 67 MB of
RAM.

It'll be interesting to see how these stats change as I leave the
thing running for months on end.

Cheers!
-JK