Re: Clarification regarding CREATE TABLE LIKE and FOREIGN KEYS

From: David Virebayre <david(at)robbez(dot)com>
To: Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Clarification regarding CREATE TABLE LIKE and FOREIGN KEYS
Date: 2023-12-01 12:08:15
Lists: pgsql-docs

Le mer. 29 nov. 2023 à 16:24, Euler Taveira <euler(at)eulerto(dot)com> a écrit :

> On Mon, Nov 27, 2023, at 12:05 PM, PG Doc comments form wrote:
>
> It is not clear to me that foreign keys are copied or not when duplicating
> table using CREATE TABLE ... LIKE ... INCLUDING ALL. I had to actually
> test
> to check what it does.
>

> It is impractical to add what a feature *does not* provide in general. The
> probability that that information will be obsolete (due to new features)
> is
> high. If the information is missing that's because it is not supported.
> (Of
> course, it can be an omission and, in this case, we need to fix it.)

"INCLUDING ALL" leads people to believe *everything* is copied.

The fact that it doesn't seem counter intuitive, at least to me.

Therefore, it doesn't seem absurd to me to warn people about what is not
copied.

I wrote the original message hoping to help improve the documentation. I
could write a draft if I'm allowed to.
I do believe that clarifying this point improves the documentation. If
there's a consensus that it doesn't, my apologies for the annoyance.

Cheers.