Is it possible to "pip" pg_dump output into new db ?

From: Frank Foerster <fr667766(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is it possible to "pip" pg_dump output into new db ?
Date: 2014-03-25 13:56:48
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

we are currently in the process of upgrading a production/live 1 TB
database from 9.2 to 9.3 via pg_dump, which is quite a lengthy process.

Fortunately we have a capable spare-server so we can restore into a clean,
freshly setup machine.

I just wondered wether the intermediate step of writing the dump-file and
re-reading it to have it written to the database is really necessary. Is
there any way to "pipe" the dump-file directly into the new
database-process or would such functionality make sense ?

I can only speak for us, but each time we do a dump/restore we need to
extract/copy/move very large files and piping directly into something like
psql/pg_restore on another machine etc. would greatly reduce
upgrade-time/pain.

Thanks and best regards,

Frank