From: Frank Gunseor <fdavidg(at)gunseor(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Date: 2023-08-03 23:13:15
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hello,

I am trying to connect to a PostgreSQL database remotely.

I have read the documentation for PostgreSQland pgAdmin, but apparently it
is not sinking in or making sense.

My situation is:

I am running PostgreSQL 15 on a Windows 10 Pro virtual machine on
VirtualBox. The virtual machine also has a Host Only Network besides the
NAT Network. I want to connect to the database from my desktop that is
hosting the VM with VirtualBox using pgAdmin. I can connect to the database
on the virtual machine on VirtualBox using pgAdmin.

Here is the connection string: "host=localhost port=5432 dbname=googleLens
user=postgres password=XXXXXXX sslmode=prefer connect_timeout=10".

Do I need to remove the sslmode to connect remotely?

The postgresql.conf contains listen addresses = '*'.

I have tried so many combinations in the pg_hba.conf that I am almost going
blind.

I can not connect using pgAdmin on the desktop.

In the Register - Server windows under the General tab can the Name be
anything?

Under the Connection tab is the Host name/address the Host Only Network of
the machine the server is running on?

Everytime I try to connect I get an "Unable to connect to server,
connection timeout expired" error!

I would appreciate any and all help. Or point me to a clear resource.
Please DO NOT tell me to RTFM because I HAVE done so numerous times.

Thank you.

Frank Gunseor

  • Re: at 2023-08-04 01:46:50 from Дмитрий Иванов