Re: New blog - who dis?

From: "Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum" <ads(at)pgug(dot)de>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, planet(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: New blog - who dis?
Date: 2023-09-04 12:47:25
Lists: pgsql-www

On Mon, Sep 4, 2023 at 1:00 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
wrote:

> Hello,
>
> On 2023-Sep-04, Andreas 'ads' Scherbaum wrote:
>
> > I plan to migrate my blog to a new software platform, which
> > will also change the URLs which appear in the RSS feed. There
> > is no convenient way to keep the old URLs in place.
> >
> > Most importantly, this will affect Planet PostgreSQL, which
> > suddenly might see about 150 "new" blog postings.
> >
> > Is there a recommended way how to deal with such a move?
>
> Each post in the blog has a "guid" unique identifier, which is usually
> the same as the URL, but some platforms let you set up something
> different. If you can "migrate" your posts to the new platform while
> keeping the GUIDs, that would be best -- they would not be seen as new
> posts. The actual URLs don't actually matter.

The guid in my case is the full URL of the posting, including the domain.
I would need to break and fix quite a few things to port this guid over to
the new system, and I can easily miss something before going live.

I'd rather not go down this path.

> If your platform doesn't let you do this, I think PlanetPostgres would
> mark the new posts as hidden anyway, because of the volume (but pester
> everyone along the way). That way only future new posts (actually new
> posts) would be syndicated, but everything would appear duplicate in the
> admin interface.

Will it work if I disconnect the old blog from Planet, then move the
software
and apply the blog again? Will this ingest all previous postings on the
feed, or just the new ones?

> > Did someone do such a move before, what is your experience?
>
> It's usually a pretty noisy things to do, from the moderators point of
> view.

That's exactly what I want to avoid.

Thanks

--