Initial queries of day slow

From: Rebecca Clarke <r(dot)clarke83(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Initial queries of day slow
Date: 2014-04-07 09:32:59
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi all.

I'm a bit stumped. At present I'm finding that queries to my database, that
normally execute promptly, are taking a long time when they are executed
first thing in the morning (after the database has been inactive for
several hours). After the first execution, everything is back to normal.

A while back I turned autovacuum off and now instead I run a daily cron at
3am that executes a script which does a VACUUM ANALYZE on each table.

These are my details:

Debian GNU/Linux 6.0
Postgresql 9.1
Memory 4GB

shared_buffers = 1024MB
work_mem = 16MB
maintenance_work_mem = 128MB
effective_cache_size = 2048MB

Would love peoples opinions on what the issue could be.

Thanks