Re: restoring a table after an online backup

From: Prashanth Ranjalkar <prashant(dot)ranjalkar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: gilberto(dot)castillo(at)etecsa(dot)cu
Cc: Bert <biertie(at)gmail(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: restoring a table after an online backup
Date: 2013-07-15 13:35:38
Lists: pgsql-admin

> > Hello,
> >
> > I was just wondering: Is it possible to restore a specific table from an
> > online backup?
> > Or is it only possible if we first restore the backup, replay all the
> > logs,
> > and then take the table files?
> >

> It depends on how you do the copy. To do comados with SQL, you can find to
> with the sql of the table you want.
>
> Saludos,
> Gilberto Castillo
> La Habana, Cuba

The online backups are file system level backups therefore single table
restoration is not possible however possible to restore the specific table
from the logical backups (pg_dump) if you have. In case of online backups,
it's best practice to restore the online backup on a test system and
perform PITR. After successful restoration, take the dump of the specific
table and restore it on the production.

*Thanks & Regards,*
*** *
*Prashanth Ranjalkar*
*Database Consultant & Architect*
*Email:prashant(dot)ranjalkar(at)gmail(dot)com*
*Skype:prashanth.ranjalkar*
*www.postgresdba.net*

On Mon, Jul 15, 2013 at 6:49 PM, Gilberto Castillo <