Re: Pg 9.1 master-slave replication

From: Prashanth Ranjalkar <prashant(dot)ranjalkar(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Viktor <viktor(at)okservers(dot)eu>
Cc: gilberto(dot)castillo(at)etecsa(dot)cu, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Pg 9.1 master-slave replication
Date: 2013-02-21 01:40:06
Lists: pgsql-admin

It depends on the type of replication is used.

If it's a slony replication then master continues to work and will catch up
when slave is available.

However if the Streaming replication is used, Matser continues to work if
slave is unavailable till it finds space for WAL archiving on master,
depends on the archieving strategy that implemented while configuring
replication. WAL's keep accumulating on the master server till it applies
to Slave server after it is available. As long as it find space on master,
there is no impact but once it fills all the space, master may go down.
**
*Thanks & Regards,*
*** *
*Prashanth Ranjalkar*