Estimated resources for a 500 connections instance (VM)

From: David Gauthier <davegauthierpg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Estimated resources for a 500 connections instance (VM)
Date: 2020-04-07 16:24:33
Lists: pgsql-general

psql (9.6.0, server 11.3) on linux

We've ramped up usage on a PG server (a VM, I have no choice about this)
and are approaching the 100 connections limit. We could increase the
limit, but I've read that this can lead to a degradation in performance. If
we bump it up to 500, what kind of compute resources would that require
(mem/cpu)? Any estimates ?

Thanks !