Re: Estimated resources for a 500 connections instance (VM)

From: David Gauthier <davegauthierpg(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: Postgres General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Estimated resources for a 500 connections instance (VM)
Date: 2020-04-07 19:51:50
Lists: pgsql-general

After looking at some of the factors that can affect this, I think it may
be important to know that most of the connections will be almost idle (in
terms of interacting with the DB). The "users" are perl/dbi scripts which
connect to the DB and spend the vast majority of the time doing things
other than interacting with the DB. So a connection is consumed, but it's
not really working very hard with the DB per-se. I am cleaning up some of
that code by strategically connecting/disconnecting only when a DB
interaction is required. But for my edification, is it roughly true that 2
connections working with the DB 100% of the time is equivalent to 20
connections @ 10% = 200 connections @ 1 % (if you know what I mean) ?