CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY on partitioned table

From: Sergey Sargsyan <sergey(dot)sargsyan(dot)2001(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: CREATE INDEX CONCURRENTLY on partitioned table
Date: 2024-10-04 20:33:21
Lists: pgsql-docs

Hello,
I noticed that the official documentation states that PostgreSQL does not
support concurrent creation of indexes in a partitioned index.

"Concurrent builds for indexes on partitioned tables are currently not
supported. However, you may concurrently build the index on each partition
individually and then finally create the partitioned index non-concurrently
in order to reduce the time where writes to the partitioned table will be
locked out. In this case, building the partitioned index is a metadata only
operation."

If I'm not mistaken, this has been the case for a long time, but the
feature is currently supported. I've looked at the source code and also ran
some tests, everything seems to work.

--
Sargsyan Serezha Platform V Pangolin SE —
platformv.sbertech.ru/products/rabota-s-dannymi/pangolin