Re: Monitoring tool for Postgres Database

From: Rick Otten <rottenwindfish(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Monitoring tool for Postgres Database
Date: 2017-05-26 10:19:56
Lists: pgsql-admin pgsql-performance

On Thu, May 25, 2017 at 3:48 PM, Ravi Tammineni <
rtammineni(at)partner(dot)aligntech(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> What is the best monitoring tool for Postgres database? Something like
> Oracle Enterprise Manager.
>

> Specifically I am interested in tools to help:
>

> Alert DBAs to problems with both configuration and performance issues
>
> Deadlocks, Long running queries etc.,
>
> Monitoring of overall system performance
>
> General performance tuning
>
> Storage/Disk latencies
>

> Thanks
>
> ravi

We use Datadog. Their PostgreSQL plugin covers most of the most relevant
stats. It is easy to configure and not very expensive at all. They have
an easy GUI based configuration for monitors and alerts, and you can link
it with something like Victorops and Slack for additional pager escalation
policies. We have all of our batch processing tied into Datadog as well,
so we can get a picture of events, systems, and database internals all in
one dashboard.