Re: How Can I check PostgreSQL backup is successfully or not ?

From: Rick Otten <rottenwindfish(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dinesh Chandra 12108 <Dinesh(dot)Chandra(at)cyient(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How Can I check PostgreSQL backup is successfully or not ?
Date: 2017-02-27 10:36:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

Although it doesn't really tell if the pg_dump was successful (you'll need
to do a full restore to be sure), I generate an archive list. If that
fails, the backup clearly wasn't successful, and if it succeeds, odds are
pretty good that it worked:

-- bash code snippet --
archiveList=`pg_restore -l ${backupFolder}`
if [[ ! ${archiveList} =~ "Archive created at" ]]
then
echo "PostgreSQL backup - Archive List Test Failed for
${hostName}:${dbName}"
echo "Archive listing:"
echo ${archiveList}
exit 1