Re: Logical Replication speed-up initial data

From: Rick Otten <rottenwindfish(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Pgsql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Logical Replication speed-up initial data
Date: 2021-08-05 13:25:57
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Thu, Aug 5, 2021 at 12:57 AM Nikhil Shetty <nikhil(dot)dba04(at)gmail(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Thank you for the suggestion.
>
> We tried by dropping indexes and it worked faster compared to what we saw
> earlier. We wanted to know if anybody has done any other changes that helps
> speed-up initial data load without dropping indexes.

It would be kind of cool if the database could just "know" that it was an
initial load and automatically suppress FK checks and index updates until
the load is done. Once complete it would go back and concurrently rebuild
the indexes and validate the FK's. Then you wouldn't have to manually
drop all of your indexes and add them back and hope you got them all, and
got them right.