Re: effective_io_concurrency on EBS/gp2

From: Rick Otten <rottenwindfish(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vitaliy Garnashevich <vgarnashevich(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: effective_io_concurrency on EBS/gp2
Date: 2018-01-31 13:01:27
Lists: pgsql-performance

We moved our stuff out of AWS a little over a year ago because the
performance was crazy inconsistent and unpredictable. I think they do a
lot of oversubscribing so you get strange sawtooth performance patterns
depending on who else is sharing your infrastructure and what they are
doing at the time.

The same unit of work would take 20 minutes each for several hours, and
then take 2 1/2 hours each for a day, and then back to 20 minutes, and
sometimes anywhere in between for hours or days at a stretch. I could
never tell the business when the processing would be done, which made it
hard for them to set expectations with customers, promise deliverables, or
manage the business. Smaller nodes seemed to be worse than larger nodes, I
only have theories as to why. I never got good support from AWS to help me
figure out what was happening.

My first thought is to run the same test on different days of the week and
different times of day to see if the numbers change radically. Maybe spin
up a node in another data center and availability zone and try the test
there too.

My real suggestion is to move to Google Cloud or Rackspace or Digital Ocean
or somewhere other than AWS. (We moved to Google Cloud and have been very
happy there. The performance is much more consistent, the management UI is
more intuitive, AND the cost for equivalent infrastructure is lower too.)