Re: data consolidation: logical replication design considerations

From: Rick Otten <rottenwindfish(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Rory Campbell-Lange <rory(at)campbell-lange(dot)net>
Cc: Pgsql Performance <pgsql-performance(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: data consolidation: logical replication design considerations
Date: 2022-07-17 20:39:15
Lists: pgsql-performance

On Sat, Jul 16, 2022 at 12:07 PM Rory Campbell-Lange <
rory(at)campbell-lange(dot)net> wrote:

> I'd be grateful for some comments on the advisability of using a large
> number of concurrent logical replication publications/subscriptions.
> Below I've set out the current environment and a suggested design.
> Apologies for the length of this email.

Another possibility is to use SymmetricDS for this. [
https://symmetricds.org ] SymmetricDS was originally developed to keep
databases on thousands of Point-of-Sale databases (in cash registers) in
sync with pricing and inventory data for large international retailers.

There are lots of other use cases, but even 10-12 years ago it was scalable
to the extent you are describing you need here.

The main drawback is that it is trigger based, so there is some slight
latency introduced for insert/update/delete actions on the tables on the
appropriate master, but it usually isn't significant.