Re: WIP: SQL Formatter

From: Aditya Toshniwal <aditya(dot)toshniwal(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: WIP: SQL Formatter
Date: 2020-07-30 05:28:47
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

Hi Dave,

On Wed, Jul 29, 2020 at 9:34 PM Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org> wrote:

> The attached WIP patch adds a menu option to the Query Tool to format the
> SQL in the editor. It does so per options that can be set in the
> Preferences panel (essentially, most of these:
> https://sqlparse.readthedocs.io/en/latest/api/#formatting-of-sql-statements
> )
>
> Some thoughts before I continue:
>
> - There are already options for tabs vs spaces and tab width for the query
> tool. At the moment I've intentionally kept separate settings for the same
> thing in the formatter. If we use the same options it'll mean that
> configuration for formatting is split across two places in the Preferences
> panel. On the other hand, it may be handy to have separate options. What do
> others think?

I'm not aware of any editor who is having separate settings for formatting.
Editors like VS code use .editorconfig for the auto format option. I would
also suggest having common editor settings for both formatting and user
input.

> - I'm thinking that maybe we should push all user-visible generated SQL
> through the formatter. This would essentially mean that all get_sql and
> similar functions would call it. We'd probably need to make the re-sql test
> suite call it as well. Does this seem like a good idea? It's be a fairly
> widespread change, but it would mean that the resql and generated crud
> statements would be consistently formatted, to the user's preferences.

Yes we can. But should we use it for function/proc body ? Users may not
like their function being altered.

--
Thanks,
Aditya Toshniwal