Memory growth observed with C++ application consuming libpq.dll on Windows

From: Rajesh Kokkonda <rajeshk(dot)kokkonda(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Memory growth observed with C++ application consuming libpq.dll on Windows
Date: 2024-08-01 07:06:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

We are seeing a gradual growth in the memory consumption of our process on
Windows. Ours is a C++ application that directly loads libpq.dll and
handles the queries and functions. We use setSingleRowMethod to limit the
number of rows returned simultaneously to the application. We do not
observe any memory increase when the application is run on Linux. There is
no code difference between Windows and Linux from the
application standpoint. We ran valgrind against our application on Linux
and found no memory leaks. Since the same code is being used on Windows as
well, we do not suspect any memory leak there. The question is if there
are any known memory leaks with the version of the library we are using on
Windows. Kindly let us know.

The version of the library on Linux is libpq.so.5.16

The windows version of the library is 16.0.3.0

[image: image.png]

Thanks,
Rajesh