Re: Per row status during INSERT .. ON CONFLICT UPDATE?

From: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)heroku(dot)com>
To: Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Per row status during INSERT .. ON CONFLICT UPDATE?
Date: 2015-05-19 20:20:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Tue, May 19, 2015 at 1:07 PM, Robins Tharakan <tharakan(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
> My use-case is to create an extra row for all UPDATEd rows (only), which is
> implemented in MSSQL by enveloping the MERGE with an INSERT (MERGE ...
> OUTPUT $action) WHERE $action = 'UPDATE'.

That could make sense. You can achieve something similar with per-row
triggers, perhaps.

> Am still to test, but looks like Thom's reply earlier could take care of my
> use-case, so we may need more people requesting this magic field, with a
> valid use-case.

I'm not opposed to it, but it's not a personal priority to implement
this. I don't think it's great practice to use the hidden fields like
that. I can't see anything other than a dedicated expression serving
this purpose, if there is ever a documented solution.

--
Peter Geoghegan