Assistance needed for the query execution in non-public schema

From: Sasmit Utkarsh <utkarshsasmit(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Assistance needed for the query execution in non-public schema
Date: 2024-04-16 11:00:09
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi Postgresql Team,

I'm trying to execute the below query using the below

psql 'host=cucmpsgsu0.postgres.database.azure.com port=5432 dbname=msshctd
user=shc_uadmin password=xxxxx sslmode=require
options=--search_path=shc_tty'

msshctd=> show search_path;
search_path
-------------
shc_tty
(1 row)
msshctd=> SELECT setval(pg_get_serial_sequence('mqa_flfo_cstr', 'id'),
coalesce(MAX(id), 1)) from mqa_flfo_cstr;
*ERROR: permission denied for sequence mqa_flfo_cstr_id_seq*
msshctd=> SELECT setval(pg_get_serial_sequence('mqa_ffp_nval', 'id'),
coalesce(MAX(id), 1)) from mqa_ffp_nval;
*ERROR: permission denied for sequence mqa_ffp_nval_id_seq*

msshctd=> \z mqa_flfo_cstr_id_seq
Access privileges
Schema | Name | Type | Access privileges |
Column privileges | Policies
---------+----------------------+----------+-----------------------------+-------------------+----------
shc_tty | mqa_flfo_cstr_id_seq | sequence | pgddb_admin=rwU/pgddb_admin+|

| | | *shc_uadmin=rU/pgddb_admin*
| |
(1 row)

msshctd=> \z mqa_ffp_nval_id_seq
Access privileges
Schema | Name | Type | Access privileges |
Column privileges | Policies
---------+---------------------+----------+-----------------------------+-------------------+----------
shc_tty | mqa_ffp_nval_id_seq | sequence | pgddb_admin=rwU/pgddb_admin+|

| | | *shc_uadmin=rU/pgddb_admin * |

(1 row)

Above query executes fine when I try to execute as user *"pgddb_admin"(Super
User)*. but when I switch to shc_uadmin, I see a permission error. Above
I've included the permissions listed for both the users. I also tried to
set the alter permissions for one of the sequence for the shc_uadmin user
with the below

GRANT USAGE, ALTER ON SEQUENCE mqa_flfo_cstr_id_seq TO shc_uadmin;
*ERROR: unrecognized privilege type "alter" SQL state: 42601*

Is there any other way i can execute the queries, with user *"shc_uadmin"*
for the *setval()* to work properly without giving complete privileges same
as the owner *"pgddb_admin"* ? Any workaround/ alternate option which would
work here? Please assist

Regards,
Sasmit Utkarsh
+91-7674022625