Re: Backup_Long Running

From: Vijaykumar Jain <vijaykumarjain(dot)github(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: jaya kumar <kumardba27(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup_Long Running
Date: 2024-04-24 09:20:41
Lists: pgsql-general

On Wed, Apr 24, 2024, 12:33 PM jaya kumar <kumardba27(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> Hi Team,
>

> Production database Backup is running very long hours. Any option to
> reduce backup time? Kindly advise me.
>

> DB size: 793 GB
>

> We are taking pg_basebackup backup.

do you see network saturation, io saturation ?
generally faster hardware i.e striped and or nvme disks along with a robust
network link and capacity should help get the backup done quickly.
where are you taking the backup from? is the server busy doing other work
or it is a dedicated machine for backups ?
basically monitor for resource saturation, if all looks good, we could take
basebackup of a 10tb db in 8 hours, and in another case on a slow remote
storage, backup of 2tb took 1 day.

now, pgbackrest can speedup backup processes by spawning more workers for
archiving and stuff. we have taken backup on nvme disks striped of 28tb in
3 hours, bare metals servers with powerful cpu.

so , it's hardware .... else switch to pgbackrest which can take
incremental/differential/full backups.
there are other tools too, I used only these two.