Re: Single mater replica setup for an existing DB

From: Vijaykumar Jain <vijaykumarjain(dot)github(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Digimer <lists(at)alteeve(dot)ca>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Single mater replica setup for an existing DB
Date: 2021-08-16 20:39:54
Lists: pgsql-general

On Mon, 16 Aug 2021 at 00:47, Digimer <lists(at)alteeve(dot)ca> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Could I get recommendations on how to convert an existing database to a
> single-master replica setup?
>
> I'm running on RHEL 8 (pgsql version 10.17). I'd like to replicate the
> existing database to 1 (maybe 2) other hosts, synchronously ideally though
> async might be OK.

hands on using katakoda:
CrunchyData Interactive Learning Portal
<https://learn.crunchydata.com/pg-administration/>

blogs:
Setting up Streaming Replication in PostgreSQL 13 and Streaming Replication
Internals - MigOps
<https://www.migops.com/blog/2021/03/31/setting-up-streaming-replication-in-postgresql-13-and-streaming-replication-internals/>
There are many blogs for versions 11, 12 also.

-- i moved from manual to patroni, so found patroni simple to set up. ymmv
postgres HA using patroni.
There is an option to add an existing node to the patroni cluster.
Convert a Standalone to a Patroni Cluster — Patroni 2.1.0 documentation
<https://patroni.readthedocs.io/en/latest/existing_data.html>

official reference (especially for tuning config):
PostgreSQL: Documentation: 12: Part III. Server Administration
<https://www.postgresql.org/docs/12/admin.html>

--
Thanks,
Vijay