Re: Best Prometheus exporter?

From: Vijaykumar Jain <vijaykumarjain(dot)github(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Victor Sudakov <vas(at)sibptus(dot)ru>
Cc: Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Best Prometheus exporter?
Date: 2021-11-08 20:29:20
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Tue, 9 Nov 2021 at 00:19, Victor Sudakov <vas(at)sibptus(dot)ru> wrote:

> What good Prometheus exporter for Postgres can you recommend (from your
> own experience)?

I have not got a lot of exposure with prometheus, but was able to quickly
set up using below,
but I was aware of monitoring and alerting otherwise , so it was easy. the
below were combined with node_exporter (specially storage io metrics)

prometheus-community/postgres_exporter: A PostgreSQL metric exporter for
Prometheus (github.com)
<https://github.com/prometheus-community/postgres_exporter>
should be a good start.
PostgreSQL Database dashboard for Grafana | Grafana Labs
<https://grafana.com/grafana/dashboards/9628> would be the corresponding
grafana dashboard.

and alerting queries for this exporter
Awesome Prometheus alerts | Collection of alerting rules (grep.to)
<https://awesome-prometheus-alerts.grep.to/rules.html#postgresql-1>

these are very basics to start with, feel free to improvise.

the below utils are also very much handy.

NikolayS/postgres_dba: The missing set of useful tools for Postgres DBAs
and all engineers (github.com) <https://github.com/NikolayS/postgres_dba>
dataegret/pg-utils: Useful PostgreSQL utilities (github.com)
<https://github.com/dataegret/pg-utils>
pg_stat_monitor/USER_GUIDE.md at master · percona/pg_stat_monitor
(github.com)
<https://github.com/percona/pg_stat_monitor/blob/master/docs/USER_GUIDE.md>
(new but i like the option to check query plan via sql query)

<https://github.com/prometheus-community/postgres_exporter>and the most
important wrt logs.
pgBadger Documentation (darold.net)
<https://pgbadger.darold.net/documentation.html>
<https://pgbadger.darold.net/documentation.html>
I shared much more than asked, feel free to discard what is not needed.