Re: Postgres dying after many failed logins

From: Vijaykumar Jain <vijaykumarjain(dot)github(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Lynn Carol Johnson <lcj34(at)cornell(dot)edu>, "pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Postgres dying after many failed logins
Date: 2021-11-08 16:15:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, 8 Nov 2021 at 20:31, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:

> Lynn Carol Johnson <lcj34(at)cornell(dot)edu> writes:
> > My question: Is this expected behavior, ie that the server will
> > shutdown after hours of failed attempts?
>
> There is nothing built-in that would cause that, and frankly I doubt
> that there is any direct connection. It could be that the AWS environment
> imposes some resource limit (i.e., total number of child processes
> spawned) that the postmaster is eventually hitting because of the
> hack attempts. However, if that's true, I wouldn't really expect it to
> manifest as anything as polite as a SIGTERM signal.

saw a similar message on SO just a few days back.
Postgresql shutdown by itself - Stack Overflow
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/69834413/postgresql-shutdown-by-itself>

The only thing common is fake login attempts and smart shutdown.

> So I think there
> is something else going on. You need to look for what in your environment
> could send the postmaster a SIGTERM. Can you correlate the shutdown with
> anything? One thing I'm wondering is if it matches the time of shutdown
> of whatever you're launching the postmaster with.

since its an ec2 instance, maybe /var/log/syslog / messages auth.log and
dmesg/kern.log log messages can be of help ?

--
Thanks,
Vijay