Re: AI for query-planning?

From: Vijaykumar Jain <vijaykumarjain(dot)github(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: AI for query-planning?
Date: 2024-06-22 14:55:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On Sat, Jun 22, 2024, 5:20 PM Andreas Joseph Krogh <andreas(at)visena(dot)com>
wrote:

> Hi, are there any plans for using some kind of AI for query-planning?
>
> Can someone with more knowledge about this than I have please explain why
> it might, or not, be a good idea, and what the challenges are?

https://github.com/ossc-db/pg_plan_advsr

https://github.com/s-hironobu/pg_plan_inspector

not totally ai, but it can use data from your database to build some
metadata.

there are also plan analyzers online which people paste their plan to get a
quick summary of problem areas, that data can be useful too for ai based
plan optimisers.

but that said, postgresql has a lot of knobs to tune, so ...