SSPI authentication is confusing

From: Evgeny Morozov <evgeny(dot)morozov+list+pgadm(at)shift-technology(dot)com>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: SSPI authentication is confusing
Date: 2016-02-25 14:34:11
Lists: pgadmin-support

Hi,

I'm using pgAdmin 1.22.1 on Windows 7 and wanted to connect to a server
using SSPI authentication. I managed it in the end, but the user experience
could do with a lot of improvement.

It was unclear to me whether pgAdmin supports SSPI at all, because the UI
says nothing about this and googling "site:pgadmin.org sspi" returns 1
irrelevant results. Elsewhere I found advice about setting PGGSSLIB
and PGKRBSRVNAME environment variables, so I did that - but then it still
worked after I unset them, so apparently this was not necessary.

I'd like to suggest the following improvements:

*) Document which authentication methods are supported and how to use them.
*) Make this obvious in the "New Server Registration" dialog as well.
*) Allow the user to select in the "New Server Registration" dialog what
authentication method they want to use.
*) Do not require a username to be entered when using SSPI (regardless of
the previous point)! This was the most confusing part for me, because I
didn't know whether I should enter "DOMAIN\username", "FQDN\username",
"username(at)DOMAIN", "username(at)FQDN" or something else. And why would I need
to enter it at all?
*) Do not prompt for a password when using SSPI. I was confused by this,
too - should I re-enter my Windows password? A blank value worked, but it
annoyed me for a while by prompting for a password every time (despite me
checking "Store password"), but eventually I figured out that if I just
enter any non-empty text the prompts disappear and it still works.

Regards,

Evgeny Morozov