Re: pgjdbc-ng

From: Guillaume Smet <guillaume(dot)smet(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Wooten <kdubb(at)me(dot)com>
Cc: Heikki Linnakangas <hlinnakangas(at)vmware(dot)com>, pgsql-jdbc <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgjdbc-ng
Date: 2014-02-26 18:08:06
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi Kevin,

On Wed, Feb 26, 2014 at 7:10 AM, Kevin Wooten <kdubb(at)me(dot)com> wrote:
> I committed support for version 9.1 server. It seems it was almost as easy as Heikki suggested. Although, to test you currently need to build the driver from the main develop branch.

1/ About error handling in the initialization phase

I took a shot at it yesterday evening too but couldn't get the tests
to run on my laptop. I didn't have a useful exception, just the fact
that it hits the throw new IOException("invalid utility query"); in
BasicContext line 397 for some reason, probably because the query
wasn't executed correctly.

I checked what you did and it's a little bit different from what I did
(I had a "null as rng..." and you simply don't have it) so the error
is on my part. But I still think there's something weird in the error
management: I should have got something more precise, shouldn't I?

Do you think I should take a look at it and try to put together a pull
request or is it normal for you?

2/ Tests failing on my laptop once I got what you commited:

2.1 DatabaseMetaDataTest.testEscaping

com.impossibl.postgres.jdbc.PGSQLSimpleException: LIKE pattern must
not end with escape character
at com.impossibl.postgres.jdbc.ErrorUtils.makeSQLException(ErrorUtils.java:159)
at com.impossibl.postgres.jdbc.ErrorUtils.makeSQLException(ErrorUtils.java:136)
at com.impossibl.postgres.jdbc.PGConnectionImpl.execute(PGConnectionImpl.java:432)
at com.impossibl.postgres.jdbc.PGStatement.executeStatement(PGStatement.java:372)
at com.impossibl.postgres.jdbc.PGPreparedStatement.execute(PGPreparedStatement.java:233)
at com.impossibl.postgres.jdbc.PGPreparedStatement.executeQuery(PGPreparedStatement.java:249)
at com.impossibl.postgres.jdbc.PGDatabaseMetaData.execForResultSet(PGDatabaseMetaData.java:112)
at com.impossibl.postgres.jdbc.PGDatabaseMetaData.getTables(PGDatabaseMetaData.java:1047)
at com.impossibl.postgres.jdbc.DatabaseMetaDataTest.testEscaping(DatabaseMetaDataTest.java:777)

2.2 ServerDisconnectTest is failing (but I don't think I can send
signal to the server with this user so it should be fine)

java.lang.AssertionError: Expected exception: java.sql.SQLException

2.3 I think the tests are timezone dependant:

java.lang.AssertionError: expected:<09:30:30> but was:<08:30:30>
at org.junit.Assert.fail(Assert.java:88)
at org.junit.Assert.failNotEquals(Assert.java:743)
at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:118)
at org.junit.Assert.assertEquals(Assert.java:144)
at com.impossibl.postgres.jdbc.CodecTest.test(CodecTest.java:320)
at com.impossibl.postgres.jdbc.CodecTest.testTextCodecs(CodecTest.java:157)

gsmet(at)gsmet:~$ date
Wed Feb 26 19:02:20 CET 2014

I have a couple of tests failing for this reason.

Other than that, they all pass (and there are a lot of them...)

--
Guillaume