Re: PG 12: Partitioning across a FDW?

From: Chris Morris <chris(at)mysteryscience(dot)com>
To: Laurenz Albe <laurenz(dot)albe(at)cybertec(dot)at>
Cc: "pgsql-generallists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PG 12: Partitioning across a FDW?
Date: 2020-03-25 15:50:26
Lists: pgsql-general

> > Is it even possible to use PG partitioning across a Foreign Server?
> I am not certain what you mean, but you can have foreign tables as
> partitions
> of a partitioned table. The partitions won't be processed in parallel
> though.

I have a large, growing table, that I'd like to start partitioning, but
also would like "older" partitions to be stored in a separate database,
connected via FDW. I haven't played around with partitioning at all yet, so
clearly I'm not sure how to ask the question :)

The hope is to still have one "seamless" table users can query, but to
spread the storage across different databases. I realize that may be asking
for too much.