Re: Question on Hot Standby in PostgreSQL

From: Yaser Raja <yrraja(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
Cc: "Williams, Alex" <awilliams(at)teamdrg(dot)com>, "pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Question on Hot Standby in PostgreSQL
Date: 2015-11-23 21:08:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

On Mon, Nov 23, 2015 at 3:24 PM, Scott Ribe <scott_ribe(at)elevated-dev(dot)com>
wrote:

> On Nov 20, 2015, at 12:50 PM, Williams, Alex <awilliams(at)teamdrg(dot)com>
> wrote:
> >
> > However, I thought with the use of MVCC,
> > an active query on the slave (long running, 30 seconds+) can run reading
> > from row xid versions/snapshot...
>
> The problem is that the master could well make changes that would remove
> rows in that snapshot because the master does not know anything about the
> rows that need preserving for the replica's query.

hot_standby_feedback addresses this problem.

Here is the detail from the PG docs:

"Specifies whether or not a hot standby will send feedback to the primary
or upstream standby about queries currently executing on the standby. This
parameter can be used to eliminate query *cancels caused by cleanup records*,
but *can cause database bloat* on the primary for some workloads. Feedback
messages will not be sent more frequently than once per
wal_receiver_status_interval. The default value is off. This parameter can
only be set in the postgresql.conf file or on the server command line."

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.3/static/runtime-config-replication.html

Note that this will only avoid the conflicts caused by cleanup records
(which normally is the majority of conflicts).