Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation

From: Bharath Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Bertrand Drouvot <bertranddrouvot(dot)pg(at)gmail(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Introduce XID age and inactive timeout based replication slot invalidation
Date: 2024-03-13 16:46:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, Mar 13, 2024 at 11:13 AM shveta malik <shveta(dot)malik(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> > Thanks. v8-0001 is how it looks. Please see the v8 patch set with this change.
>
> JFYI, the patch does not apply to the head. There is a conflict in
> multiple files.

Thanks for looking into this. I noticed that the v8 patches needed
rebase. Before I go do anything with the patches, I'm trying to gain
consensus on the design. Following is the summary of design choices
we've discussed so far:
1) conflict_reason vs invalidation_reason.
2) When to compute the XID age?
3) Where to do the invalidations? Is it in the checkpointer or
autovacuum or some other process?
4) Interaction of these new invalidations with sync slots on the standby.

I hope to get on to these one after the other.

--
Bharath Rupireddy
PostgreSQL Contributors Team