Significance of queries listed under server activity items

From: Adam Manwaring <pantsmann(at)byu(dot)net>
To: pgadmin-support(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Significance of queries listed under server activity items
Date: 2017-10-18 17:25:29
Lists: pgadmin-support

When viewing the details on a row on the "Server Activity" table an
sql query is listed along with a few timestamps. I've been assuming that
the query shown is the last active query for that session. What I don't
know is whether it is the last one committed or the last one begun. I've
had some trouble with sessions stuck in "idle in transaction" status. I
need to know if the query is the query that has not been committed or if it
is the previous query (committed prior to one that is stuck).

I can't seem to find anything that says specifically what this query is, so
I don't know whether I should be looking at the query shown to figure out
what is going wrong or if I need to look elsewhere.

Thanks for any help,
Adam