Lack of possibility to specify CTAS TAM

From: Kirill Reshke <reshkekirill(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Lack of possibility to specify CTAS TAM
Date: 2024-07-31 07:03:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I have noticed $subj while working with other unrelated patches.
The question is, why there is no CREATE TABLE AS .... USING
(some_access_method)?
This feature looks straightforward, and lack of it is a bit of
inconsistency from my point of view.
Maybe there are some unobvious caveats with implementing it?
I have done a little research reading related threads [1][2], but
these do not address $subj, if i'm not missing anything.
Neither can I find an open CF entry/thread implementing this (Im
looking here http://cfbot.cputube.org/) .

The same storage specification feature can actually be supported for
CTAE (like CTAS but execute) and CREATE MATERIALIZED VIEW.

I can try to propose a POC patch implementing $subj if there are no objections
to having this functionality in the core.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20180703070645.wchpu5muyto5n647%40alap3.anarazel.de
[2] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/20160812231527.GA690404%40alvherre.pgsql