Re: A couple of pg_dump questions

From: Vick Khera <vivek(at)khera(dot)org>
To: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: A couple of pg_dump questions
Date: 2018-04-20 14:23:14
Lists: pgsql-general

On Thu, Apr 19, 2018 at 6:39 PM, Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> $ pg_dump --host=farawaysrvr -Fc $REMOTEDB > /local/disk/backups/$REMOTEDB.
> dump
>
> Is the data compressed on the remote server (thus minimizing traffic on
> the wire), or locally? (I'd test this myself, but the company has really
> strict firewall rules in place.)

The compression is done locally. If your network is slower than
compression, then you could tunnel it through an SSH connection with
compression enabled.

As for your parallel dump, you cannot do that to stdout and "c" format. You
have to tell pg_dump the directory name to write, as that is the only
format that supports parallel dumps.