Re: Replaying xlogs from beginning

From: otheus uibk <otheus(dot)uibk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Replaying xlogs from beginning
Date: 2016-02-25 12:19:15
Lists: pgsql-general

> You're assuming that the only significant aspect of initdb's output that
can vary from run to run is the database system ID.

I prefer to call it "optimistic prediction". But yes. :)

> If you're lucky this technique will work, but it's not reliable and not
supported. You really need to take an initial base backup after running
initdb.

Thanks, but it's too late in retrospect. Since that is the case, to whom
can I make a feature request that initdb have an implicitly enabled option
to make this base backup?

OK, back to question. Provided the system is the same, the postgresql
executable and libraries are identical, the locales are unchanged, we have:

1. bitwise variances in the system catalog

-- can be solved with David's suggestion of full dump/restore after the
steps I listed. Confer?

2. other things you couldn't think of yet.

-- anything come to mind yet?

--
Otheus
otheus(dot)uibk(at)gmail(dot)com