Replaying xlogs from beginning

From: otheus uibk <otheus(dot)uibk(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Replaying xlogs from beginning
Date: 2016-02-17 15:39:13
Lists: pgsql-general

I'm looking for answers to this question, but so far haven't turned up a
usable answer. Perhaps I'm asking it the wrong way.

I want to replay the xlogs from the beginning of time up until a particular
time. The problem is, the time is before the first base backup. But I have
all the xlogs since the database was initialized.

To test this, I initialized a new DB and put a few xlogs in its pg_xlog
directory, and I create a simple recovery.conf ("restore_command=false").
When I start it up, I get something like "DETAIL: WAL file database system
identifier is 6221786353392811102, pg_control database system identifier is
6252279422905597461."

The most important question is: How do I recover to PIT, starting from
initialization, without a base backup, provided I have all xlog files.
The secondary question is: How can I test this with a new instance?

--
Otheus
otheus(dot)uibk(at)gmail(dot)com