JSONB operator unanticipated behaviour

From: Brian Mendoza <brian(at)rotamap(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: JSONB operator unanticipated behaviour
Date: 2023-05-18 13:17:04
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,

I have encountered unanticipated behaviour with a JSONB operator, and
wanted to make sure I am not misunderstanding its intended use.

When using the @> operator, I get this result.

select '{"a": [1]}'::jsonb @> '{"a": []}'::jsonb;
?column?
----------
(1 row)

However, given the phrasing in the documentation, I would have expected
False.

"Does the left JSON value contain the right JSON path/value entries at the
top level?"

Particularly given the following:

select '[1]'::jsonb = '[]'::jsonb;
?column?
----------
(1 row)

So the keys are the same, the values (when compared directly) are not, but
@> returns True. Have I misunderstood the usage of the operator?

The above queries have been run on postgres 14, if that helps.

--
Brian Mendoza
brian(at)rotamap(dot)net

Rotamap