Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization

From: Pavel Borisov <pashkin(dot)elfe(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Gavin Flower <GavinFlower(at)archidevsys(dot)co(dot)nz>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, PostgreSQL Developers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: POC: GROUP BY optimization
Date: 2020-10-26 09:28:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Thanks for your interest! FYI there is a new thread about this topic [1]
> with the next version of the patch and more commentaries (I've created
> it for visibility purposes, but probably it also created some confusion,
> sorry for that).
>
> Thanks!

I made a very quick look at your updates and noticed that it is intended to
be simple and some parts of the code are removed as they have little test
coverage. I'd propose vice versa to increase test coverage to enjoy more
precise cost calculation and probably partial grouping.

Or maybe it's worth to benchmark both patches and then re-decide what we
want more to have a more complicated or a simpler version.

Good to know that this feature is not stuck anymore and we have more than
one proposal.
Thanks!

--
Best regards,