Re: Is file system replication sufficient to recovery?

From: Tom Korach <tom(at)safekeep(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is file system replication sufficient to recovery?
Date: 2021-12-30 17:43:04
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

Thanks for the quick reply. To your questions:
> What do you mean exactly by "file-system replication"?
RAID1 setup (specifically, between two disks or EBS volumes [on AWS]),
using LVM.
The two disks are synchronized, so AFAIK each should be an exact copy of
the data.

> Not as long as you capture the currently-active WAL files along with the
database contents.
I am not that familiar with Postgresql internals, but if we have a snapshot
of the file system at the time of the crash (using RAID), is there a
scenario where previous WAL segments will be needed to restore the
database?

Regards,
Tom