Is file system replication sufficient to recovery?

From: Tom Korach <tom(at)safekeep(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Is file system replication sufficient to recovery?
Date: 2021-12-30 17:04:58
Lists: pgsql-admin

We have a Postgresql instance (0.5-4TB in size) used for development and
on-line reporting.
We do not need high-availability, but we do need:
1. Quick disaster recovery (<1 hour) is important.
2. Recovery from corruption of the server or mistakes.

Will file-system replication be enough to achieve this goal?
Do we also need WAL file archiving?

We implemented streaming replication, but it's much more complex and harder
to maintain.

Thanks
Tom