Re: PATCH: Using BRIN indexes for sorted output

From: Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com>
To: Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: PATCH: Using BRIN indexes for sorted output
Date: 2022-10-16 01:36:51
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Sat, Oct 15, 2022 at 8:23 AM Tomas Vondra <tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
wrote:

> On 10/15/22 15:46, Zhihong Yu wrote:
> > 8) Parallel version is not supported, but I think it shouldn't be
> > possible. Just make the leader build the range info, and then let the
> > workers to acquire/sort ranges and merge them by Gather Merge.
> > Hi,
> > I am still going over the patch.
> >
> > Minor: for #8, I guess you meant `it should be possible` .
> >

> Yes, I meant to say it should be possible. Sorry for the confusion.
>

> regards
>
> --
> Tomas Vondra
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Hi,

For brin_minmax_ranges, looking at the assignment to gottuple and
reading gottuple, it seems variable gottuple can be omitted - we can check
tup directly.

+ /* Maybe mark the range as processed. */
+ range->processed |= mark_processed;

`Maybe` can be dropped.

For brinsort_load_tuples(), do we need to check for interrupts inside the
loop ?
Similar question for subsequent methods involving loops, such
as brinsort_load_unsummarized_ranges.

Cheers