MacOS Application Security

From: Joe Bloggs <joebloggs122021(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: MacOS Application Security
Date: 2021-12-13 12:12:53
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hi,

From what I'm reading, you need to create a user with the bare minimum of
rights to install and use PostgreSQL for security reasons. Question is,
when you install PostgreSQL on a Mac using the Postgres.app and then you go
to the data folder with the cluster and have a look at the permissions, my
computer name user (I'm guessing an admin of some sort) is plastered across
everything. Is the Postgres.app inherently less secure? Is using the
Homebrew approach a better idea? Or should I just manually set permissions
after the app is installed?

Thanks!