Re: Mystery SELECT * query

From: Andrew Puschak <apuschak(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Mystery SELECT * query
Date: 2013-12-10 00:08:27
Lists: pgsql-novice

On Mon, Dec 9, 2013 at 6:57 PM, Kevin Grittner <kgrittn(at)ymail(dot)com> wrote:

> Andrew Puschak <apuschak(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
> > I've inherited a web service on a Windows server that connects to
> > a Postgres database. There is a "SELECT * FROM" query below that
> > runs a long time and appears to happen whenever there is a web
> > service update. I'd like to eliminate or limit it but I have to
> > find it first.
>
> The first thing I would look at is whether the software stack on
> your web server includes some sort of table cache which is being
> invalidated by each update.
>
> --
> Kevin Grittner
> EDB: http://www.enterprisedb.com
> The Enterprise PostgreSQL Company

Hi Kevin,

I have not had access to the web server yet, the owner works on it with the
developer but knowledge is limited there and this was setup years ago. I
can see if I can get access or ask the developer but this might not happen.
I'm told it might be using ODBC to connect, I'm not familiar with Windows,
I'm a linux admin. I'll look up table caching and see if we can find it
there.

Thanks for your help,
Andrew