Re: warm standby replication safe failover

From: Andrew Puschak <apuschak(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: warm standby replication safe failover
Date: 2013-02-03 16:18:28
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi again,

I setup PostgreSQL 9.2 to try replication and the 9.2 documentation
answered my question whereas the 8.4 documentation is missing the section
25.2.2. Standby Server Operation
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.2/static/warm-standby.html#STANDBY-SERVER-OPERATIONIt
explains my assumption that if you copy over the last pg_xlog from the
Primary, which I can do after safely shutting down postgres, recovery will
first apply the WALs from the archive directory and then attempt to recover
anything else in pg_xlog, but take priority over the WALs in the archive
directory.

As for upgrading to the newer release branch, I'm asking the CentOS
community where/how the PostgresSQL version is determined in their
repositories. It would be easier if I could continue to use the default
Base and Update repositories from CentOS to update postgres, but I don't
know when they plan to include 9.x versions.
Andrew

--
Andrew Puschak
(267) 614 - 2373