Re: Allow parallel plan for referential integrity checks?

From: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Juan José Santamaría Flecha <juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Frédéric Yhuel <frederic(dot)yhuel(at)dalibo(dot)com>, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, "Gregory Stark (as CFM)" <stark(dot)cfm(at)gmail(dot)com>, Ian Lawrence Barwick <barwick(at)gmail(dot)com>, "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>, "pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, Jacob Champion <jchampion(at)timescale(dot)com>, robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com
Subject: Re: Allow parallel plan for referential integrity checks?
Date: 2024-01-21 02:26:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Fri, 18 Aug 2023 at 16:29, Juan José Santamaría Flecha
<juanjo(dot)santamaria(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

> On Thu, Aug 17, 2023 at 3:51 PM Frédéric Yhuel <frederic(dot)yhuel(at)dalibo(dot)com> wrote:

>> > I have attached two scripts which demonstrate the following problems:
>

> Thanks for the scripts, but I think Robert's concerns come from the safety, and not the performance, of the parallel operation.
>
> Proving its vulnerability could be easy with a counter example, but assuring its safety is trickier. What test would suffice to do that?

I'm seeing that there has been no activity in this thread for more
than 5 months, I'm planning to close this in the current commitfest
unless someone is planning to take it forward. It can be opened again
when there is more interest.

Regards,
Vignesh